Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

If my budgie has a liver lump(quite large) would an operation

If my budgie has a liver lump(quite large) would an operation be successful?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** success, this would very much depend on where on the liver the mass is located (ie relative to blood vessels, etc), what kind of mass it is (since removing cancerous masses carry more guarded prognoses for success then benign ones), and whether the mass is compromising liver function and/or damaging the organ. As well, we do also have the factors of your bird's health and its coping with anesthesia.
With all this in mind, to get a better idea of whether surgery will be ideal for your wee one, you may want to have the specialist ultrasound him first to get an appreciation of where it is, what it is attached to, and therefore gauge whether they can remove it for your lad. At the same time, they could potentially take ultrasound guided fine needle aspirate samples to determine if this is cancerous and if so, what type of cancer is present.
Once we know those factors, we will be better able to appreciate if this is something that can be removed successfully and fully to prevent regrowth.
Overall, there are a lot of factors that could ensure or hinder surgical success in a liver mass situation. Therefore, you will want your vets to assess the above factors so that you can gauge if this is the right option for your lad. Generally speaking a non-cancerous mass that isn't harming the liver, isn't positioned around a lot of blood vessels, and potentially is on a stalk (as opposed to being well attached) would be one that could successfully be removed. But if its wrapped blood vessels, cancerous or well attached, then this would make the operation much more difficult and therefore potentially hinder surgical success.
All the best for your wee one,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much I appreciate your advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.