Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a rescue dog, ?Patterdale Terrier who is 18mths old.

Customer Question

I have a rescue dog, ?Patterdale Terrier who is 18mths old. She can be very aggressive and bite. We have a particular problem when my daughter comes to visit with her dog. Is there anything we can give our dog to calm her down? She gets 3 walks a day but we are unable to let her off the lead to chase her ball as she goes for other dogs. It is a real problem. We have spent lots of money on behaviourists and training but to no avail. I would be interested to hear you comments.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Tatters condition....it appears that you have done everything possible without any results. This aggression is common in some rescue dogs due to fears and territory issues and in your case, it appears that Tatters will require serious medication. Take Tatters to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this behavior. If this is ruled out, they can prescribe Fluoxetine along with an anti anxiety medication such as Xanax to decrease the urge for Tatters to be aggressive. I have used this combination in a few extreme cases such as Tatters with success. Discuss this with your vet....it could really help. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Loretta.
I'm sorry I haven't got back to you but I really can't rate your reply as yet as I have been unable to discuss your suggestions with my vet. I am unable to see the one I need to consult with until next Tuesday so don't have an appointment until then. The vet I spoke to today said that I would need to see the vet who deals with behavioural problems as he wasn't qualified to make the correct decision regarding medication. I'm sorry for the delay but I can't really rate your reply without some follow-up. Many thanks, Valerie
No worries, Valerie...I certainly understand. All we want is for sweet Tatters to get better manners.Hang in there!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be in touch again when I have seen the vet on Tuesday.
THat would be great, Valerie....good luck!!!