Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Following a heavy moult by dig has developed a red rash on

Following a heavy moult by dig has developed a red rash on her belly which is now beginning to creep up her side. She is quite listless and not her usual energetic self.
I can't get a vets appointment until tomorrow. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I don't know of any skin conditions which should prompt moving up an apppointment 24 hours. Deedy may be uncomfortable from that rash which is manifesting as listlessness and lethargy but she's not in danger. Can you upload a photo(s) of this rash to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached two images. This covers most of her belly and is creeping up one side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies but did you get the images?
Thank you! This is likely to be a superficial spreading pyoderma - bacterial infection (Staph, usually) of the skin. I would need to clip away the hair down to her skin to be more accurate for you. If I'm correct, 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such ascephalexin + an antimicrobial shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide twice weekly should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's excellent. Thankyou. I'll book her into the vet and get it sorted out.
Sounds good. Thank you for your kind accept. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.