Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We have had two kittens since about a month ago; they

Customer Question

We have had two kittens since about a month ago; they were about 5 weeks old when we got them from celia hammond charity. Until now they have been doing brilliantly. Just now I noticed poo on the floor (at the other end of the house where the litter tray is) and immediately after I saw that one of the two kittens (the female) had vomited a great amount, content of which was her food. No changes in diet at all. Had given them first round of deworming medicine a week ago, no problems then. She is now very hostile and won't allow to be touched. She becomes aggressive if the other kitten approaches. This is very out of character. The other kitten looks concerned. She makes these funny growling sounds and I wonder if she is in pain. What should I do? I would really appreciate a prompt answer, thank you so much
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with cats and dogs. Congratulations on the adoption of your two new kittens! They are lucky indeed to have found such a great home with you! I'm sorry that your girl hasn't been feeling well today. With a sudden onset of vomiting, it could be that she has either eaten something that disagreed with her or that she's got an infectious stomach bug. This can happen similarly to how people get the stomach flu or upset tummies from eating certain foods. Was the poop diarrhea? It's not unusual for a cat to have an urgent bowel movement if it's soft of they have diarrhea - sometimes they can't make it to the box. Given that she's vomited as well, I'd say they're very likely related. She's probably hostile at the moment because she doesn't feel well - some cats will react this way when they're ill. If it's at all possible, the best thing to do would be to have her examined by a veterinarian ASAP - even if it means taking her to the emergency vet. Since I can't see her for myself, I won't feel comfortable telling you that it'll be OK to wait it out. It might be, but I've got no way of knowing that from across the internet. If you feel that she's stable enough to wait or you're absolutely unable to seek emergency care, my suggestion would be to separate her from your other kitten for the rest of the night and give her her own litter box so that you can see exactly what she's producing in terms of vomit, urine, or feces. You can rub a little corn syrup, maple syrup, or karo syrup on her gums to help prevent hypoglycemia. Usually with vomiting pets I don't recommend allowing them to eat or drink until they've gone a couple of hours without vomiting. I hope that this helps and I hope that she's feeling better soon - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)