Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My daughter has just telephoned me her dog is poorly. It is

Customer Question

my daughter has just telephoned me her dog is poorly. It is a cross between a pugh and a beedle. it is grunting, his nose is dry and it is very warm, also has diorehea although he his drinking plenty of water. What do you suggest?Many Thanks Ruth
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter's dog isn't feeling well tonight. Diarrhea is often a nonspecific sign of stress, having eaten something out of the ordinary, sometimes an infectious cause (like the stomach flu), or parasitic disease like hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, or giardia. In some cases diarrhea can also be a sign of other internal diseases like diabetes, kidney failure, or liver failure. In general with diarrhea you can help by feeding a bland diet that is three parts boiled white rice mixed with one part boiled chicken breast. This can help firm up the stools over a couple of days. If he's acting sick in other ways, though, then he may need to have a trip to the vet. The grunting is a little concerning to me - sometimes dogs with diarrhea can grunt from their abdominal discomfort, however if he's having any sort of labored breathing, that would indicate the need for an emergency vet visit. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)