Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

22 year old cat - came home to find his back legs are paralysed.

22 year old cat - came home to find his back legs are paralysed. Has he had a stroke?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Are his back legs cold in comparison to the front limbs? 2- Is he dragging his back legs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes his back legs are cold and don't respond to my touching his feet. He's not strong enough to drag his feet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are seeing in your cat is called a "Saddle Thrombus." Basically what is happening is that a blood clot is lodge in the large artery supplying blood to the back legs; this clot is interfering with the circulation to his back limbs. Often patients that develop these type of clots have an underlying heart disease. This is an emergency, if he is not treated promptly by a veterinarian the prognosis is very guarded. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to do at home. Highly recommend having him checked by nearest veterinarian immediately. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter