DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My 20 year old mare has blood dripping from her vulva. Vet

My 20 year old mare has blood dripping from her vulva. Vet said he did not know what it could be but mentioned tumour and polyps. She is underweight and she has no trauma but it looks swollen. I've got to wait another week to see if it stops. She's had it a week now.
Any ideas what it could be
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. The most common cause for dripping blood from the vulva would be a varicose vein. Mares get varicose veins inside their vulva and occasionally they bleed just from the strain of defecation or urination. It is easy to have the vet check for them, he or she just needs to do a vaginal speculum exam and they are visible inside the vaginal vault. Treatment is usually to leave them alone unless the mare is losing more than 2 cups of blood per day or bleeds for more than 3 weeks. Treatment is surgical or chemical cautery of the vein. Other causes could be cancer of the vagina or bladder, urinary tract infection, or some sort of trauma to the vagina (like if she was mounted by a gelding or stud. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will speak further with the vet it is much appreciated and your answer is very clear and concise
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please remember to rate my response if you found it helpful. Take care.