Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Lexi now has bright red blood in her diarrhoea,

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I see that you have another question open but it's not showing on the question list. Has it already been answered and this post is actually a follow-up?
In any event vomiting and diarrhea with blood (hematochezia) are important symptoms but not specific for any one disorder. Pancreatitis and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis are likely to be the most common disorders associated with such symptoms. Both should be attended to by Lexi's vet at your earliest convenience.
Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is actually an umbrella term that refers to hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis associated with a number of non-infectious and infectious causes although an underlying cause for the disorder is often not identified. Clostridial, Campylobacter, and Salmonella infections are considered in these patients.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at your convenience.