Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been prescribed hills c/d urinary stress

Customer Question

Hello, my cat has been prescribed hills c/d urinary stress food but he is not eating it. he refuses the wet food completely, eats a little bit of the dry food, but then throws up within 2 hours and all food comes out. (short history, ultrasound and xray done, struvite crystals 2-2.5 mm, has had Nissamox and is still on Metacam and Cystaid Plus. Has started peeing more, no more blood. But my vet told me he needs to come of standard food and on special prescribed food to disolve the crystals. Would it be safe to try Royal Canin urinary s/o instead?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify "struvite crystals 2-2.5 mm". Crystals are microscopic and so I believe that you meant to post that Macavity has formed struvite uroliths (stones) instead. If I'm correct, yes, Royan Canin SO is appropriate to aid struvite urolith dissolution and urolith size is monitored periodically via X-rays. Royal Canin SO is also appropriate for long-term feeding. Please note that there is a risk of urethral obstruction during medical dissolution as the stones become small enough to pass into the urethra of a male cat. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry, yes I meant struvite stones. I will try the Royal Canin SO in that case. If he doesn't want to eat that food either, would it work by just continuing wet food only (Cat normally eats Felix wet and dry food). With continuation of Cystaid Plus capsules? Thank you
Thank you for the additional information. Yes, feeding wet food only may suffice by diluting his urine to the point that struvite isn't supersaturated in his urine and then precipitating out as stones. Yes, the ingredients in the Cystaid Plus are compatible with any diet you choose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try the Royal Canin SO first and only use the 'normal wet food only' option as last resort. Thank you for your advise.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.