Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has red skin in his ear with bumps and is itching like

My dog has red skin in his ear with bumps and is itching like crazy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is your dog? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Are the bumps in the ear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. He is 4
2. I'm not sure he has been with my ex and I have just got him back after a year apart
3. NoSmall lumps in ear from itching I think, fur on ears missing in patches from itching
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any discharge or bad odors from the ears? 2- Is he itchy in the body? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Does smell a bit tinny ( if that makes sense)
2. Just ears I think
3. No sure a bit overweight slightly. He is a long legged Staffie
4. Not that I'm aware ofThanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, it is possible he could have an infection in the ears. The fact that both ears are involved we also have to consider an underlying allergy. This is what you can try: 1- Mix in a cup 1/3 white vinegar with 2/3 warm water. Use this solution to clean the ears twice a day for the next 7-10 days. 2- After cleaning the ear as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin on the bumps. You can buy a topical antibiotic over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 3- Do the above twice a day for 7-10 days. Always clean the ear as above before applying the topical antibiotic. 4- It is also extremely important that you stop him from scratching or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from scratching. 5- If you do not see significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response I will give it a go!Thank you again for your help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.