Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My daughter has 3 rabbits about 7 months old. They live

Customer Question

Hi my daughter has 3 rabbits about 7 months old. They live outside in a hutch (off ground) in a small purpose built shed from which they have the whole run. Its got plenty of hay in hutch and she uses a snugglepad. The thermometer is 1oC at the moment inside the shed. She is worried that its too cold and has brought them inside for the night into her living room in a pen. There is not much draught in the shed but it is really cold. Should she leave them out there - She is worried that they will freeze - all online advise is very conflicting !?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Once the temperature drops below 4C, it's important that outdoor rabbits be housed in properly constructed hutches that provide shade and shelter from wind and cold. I regret that I can't know if the small purpose built shed qualifies as such a hutch from where I sit. If the shed is similar to the plans for the construction of hutches available online**, from libraries, feed manufacturers and agricultural merchants, the rabbits should do well. Assembled cages are available from agricultural merchants or mail order houses that advertise in rabbit breeding journals. If there's any question if your shed it qualifies, please bring them inside...better safe than sorry. **Here's just one of many sites for your perusal: http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Rabbit-Hutch/ Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So ive taken pics - so you can see the hutch and shed - There is usually loads more hay and a big duvet covers the front of the hutch but we have brough it in with them to the house - but its freezing out there - now minus 1 in there and the wind is terrible - Is this ok for them? Sorry to be perdantic but my 7 year old adores them! many thanks
That looks good. Any chance of putting a space heater in with the hutch?