Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My vet has told me that my cats, both 10 years old, need

Customer Question

Hi. My vet has told me that my cats, both 10 years old, need their teeth cleaning and that this can only be done under general anesthetic. I am obviously concerned that they get the dental treatment they need to avoid health issues in future but am reluctant for them to have GA unless this is absolutely necessary. Please could you advise if this procedure can be carried out under sedation? Thank you.
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
Hi Helen,Doing a cat dental properly requires that the teeth are scaled by an ultrasonic cleaner, much like a dental hygienist for humans. This involves water being continuously pumped to the tip to cool it, and to prevent the cat from swallowing or inhaling the water, we need to insert a breathing tube and a pad of absorbent cotton. A GA is therefore a must for this reason alone - it is the only safe way. Also, sedation will not be adequate as the scaling machine causes some pain as it is used on the teeth, and a GA is the only way to ensure the cat feels no pain. The noise from the scaler, and the polisher used later, would cause some distress to the animal, and the sedation would mask, rather than eliminate this factor. Finally, in many cases, a full examination of the mouth may reveal that some teeth require extraction, and this cannot be done under sedation, so many dentals would have to convert to a full GA anyway. A properly managed GA, including a heath check before and after, is considered a very safe procedure. I have performed hundreds, if not thousands of these and have not lost a patient under anaesthetic yet. The risk is comfortably under 1 per cent. Hence I agree with your vet that the procedure would be best done under GA as this allows the job to be done properly and safely with minimal distress to your pets. I hope this helps.Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Andrew, this is very helpful and reassuring information.Regards, Helen
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, Helen. I wish the three of the all the best, ***** ***** thanks for the bonus.Andrew