Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My ***** ***** who is 10yrs.old has recently started scratching

Customer Question

My ***** ***** who is 10yrs.old has recently started scratching and have noticed where he is scratching has left bald patches....also when he first started scratching on outside of his ears there seemed to be like little black mites, I bathed his ear and got them off but still scratching and leaving bald patches......
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on Ernie's history and this mite sighting, I'd be concern
may have an underlying ear mite (or skin mite) issue. Therefore, to start, we'd really want to address this. To do so properly, it'd be best to treat him with a good quality multi species anti-parasitic treatment like Advocate or Stronghold. These can be purchased at his vets (though they may need to do a quick weight check if they don't have a recent weight on file).
Otherwise, to help reduce the secondary allergic skin irritation from these critters, we can consider using an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Finally, just to prevent further self-trauma, we may also need to consider using an e-collar short term. This would keep him from scratching the area to a point of hair loss or skin trauma as we treat this irritation for him.
Overall, we do have a few concerns for Ernie's signs. Still, with the mites you saw, we'd be suspicious that they are playing a role here. Therefore, we'd want to use the above just now. Though if he doesn't settle then we'd want to have his vet scrape the skin to diagnose what parasite we have +/- start stronger systemic treatment +/- steroids to break this itch cycle and get him settled.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)