Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

The droppings on my budgie are mainly in liquid form He appears

Customer Question

the droppings on my budgie are mainly in liquid form He appears to be healthy He`s flying eating
and drinking well he`s fed on trill
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It's important to note that once a budgie acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org or google the keywords "avian, veterinarian, UK). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Busby's symptom of diarrhea is an important symptom but it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. In most cases, however, I'll find a gram negative bacterial infection by culturing these birds' droppings and prescribe an appropriate antibiotic with which you would administer directly into Busby's beak.
An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Busby's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken.
Until Busby can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened, remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/agricultural merchant stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.
Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. The Trill foods sound good until we realize that budgies will selectively choose only the seeds in these diets.  Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet.  Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here:  www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here:  www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.