How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 30372
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

My 6 month old cavapoo has eaten 2 grapes about an hour ago.

Resolved Question:

My 6 month old cavapoo has eaten 2 grapes about an hour ago. He's eaten his evening meal following this and is his normal healthy self. I've since found out that grapes can be potentially fatal to dogs, do I need to worry ? Please advise what's best to do. Thank you x
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last weighed 2 weeks ago, 7.6kg so probably about 8kg now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the lowest toxic dose for grapes is 0.7 oz/kg, this means he would need to eat at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about toxicity. 2 grapes is not going to be toxic for him, he will be fine. No need to worry. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ???
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am here. Did you get my response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, nothing
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I will repeat my answer below: Friend, the lowest toxic dose for grapes is 0.7 oz/kg, this means he would need to eat at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about toxicity. 2 grapes is not going to be toxic for him, he will be fine. No need to worry. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, I did ring my local vet who suggested I took him in. I'm sceptical re out of hours charges but obviously if necessary I would take him. Do you think it's not required ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is necessary, 2 grapes is not going to be toxic. Your dog based on weight would need to ingest at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about renal failure. You're welcome.
Dr. Peter and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you