Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Cat still sneezing after having antibiotic injection 2 weeks

Customer Question

Cat still sneezing after having antibiotic injection 2 weeks ago. What should I do? She has the feline virus since I got her from animal shelter 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If the vet gave a single injection, I would imagine that was the Convenia shot that lasts over 10 days. The problem with that shot is that it is not the greatest choice for dealing with many of the secondary bacterial infections we see with respiratory issues. So, it sounds like you will need to get back to the vet to start a course of a different antibiotic like clavamox. Also, ask the vet about starting a lysine supplement. It can help a bit with the underlying viral condition that is exacerbating the infection. Some lysine supplements would be Enisyl or Viralys, but not sure what may be available at your vet in the U.K. But, definitely sounds like a different antibiotic is indicated, and I would not recommend repeating that antiibotic shot. Good LuckDr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was convenia injection. I will phone my vet this morning to see if I can get an appointment as soon as possible. I will ask him about the suggestions above. If the cat had this treatment will she be ok in future? She has been ok until the last few weeks. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Yep. The only negative is that with the underlying viral condition, which is usually herpes, every so often, there could be a future outbreak of a secondary bacterial upper respiratory infection. Some cats can be a few times a year, while others only once every few years. But, gettng the treatment doesn't predispose to any other long-term complications. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help and advice. I hope my cat Ema will be better soon. I don't want to lose her. She's my companion and mate.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck. I suspect starting a new antibiotic and ask about the lysine to help out.Dr. Andy