Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 10year old bulldog has a growth on hes nasal bone after

My 10year old bulldog has a growth on hes nasal bone after a xray and scope. The vets have put him on steroids which help a little but not all the time...i have waited for over a week now for somekind of action or plan to be done but have heard nothing.
Looking for a long term solution if any please
regards
scott
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did your vet take a sample/biopsy to be sent to the lab for analysis?
Has those results come back?
Was it part of the bone or over it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told the results are inconclusive..growth is over it. He had blood test a month ago which came back negative
scott
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Scott,
Now I share your frustration.
If the results were inconclusive, it puts us in an awkward position. This is because we still don't know what we are facing and therefore cannot target treatment effectively. And we do need that knowledge if steroids (which work to reduce inflammation)aren't making a significant difference.
In a situation like this, our next step here would be to take a step back. Specifically, we usually need to take a second aspirate (which I suspect was done since these are more likely to be inconclusive), a biopsy (where we remove a chunk of tissue for analysis), or remove(or debulk as much as we can) the mass and send the whole thing to be tested. Because once we get enough of the tissue under the pathologist's microscope, the better chance we have at diagnosing this and thus knowing if this is something that just needs surgery to cure, needs surgery and chemo or would benefit from radiation to kill these abnormally growing cells off.
Overall, it is a shame his vet hasn't followed up with a treatment plan. Still, since masses on the face are best addressed as soon as possible (while they are as small as possible), it would be ideal to ring them and ask them which next step they think will get us the answers we need. That way we can get that diagnosis and know how to best address this for your lad.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )