Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

There, my name is***** have a budgie it's the

Customer Question

Hi there, my name is***** have a budgie it's the first time I've ever had one, and thus us the first time I gave needed to ask for help, I noticed Amber was very quiet and I thought she had fallen asleep I went over to her and it was as if a bit of her seed had caught in her we tiny mouth I could see something there and she had the hug ups with it I tried to with a tiny cotton but she flu away from poor we thing I love her to bits, I thought she'd was having a fit she seem to have calmed now I have. Get up the road hope full y I can take there tomorrow kind regards ***** ***** from blackhall edinburgh
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your budgie Amber. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Jo, I have never done this before I'm Anna Vslente, the last it was for me to go to the hospital for my platlets, she seems to have calmed now Anna. From Edinburgh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh well I'd rather do it this way then anna
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm glad you're there. I'm afraid I cannot do international phone calls, however, so we'll need to chat this way. I have some important information I want to give you about how to care for Amber until you can get her to the vet.(typing more)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is wrong with her anna
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please stand by for a few minutes while a finish up a phone call. Then we will be able to text chat.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I am back. Thank you for your patience...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh hi , I noticed her head was down she must have rubbing it, and the I saw a seed that had stuck in her we mouth I stupidly took a cotton bud to see if I coukd get it out but she flu away from me, poor soul her stomach was going in and out and she was trying to get the seed out of her beak, it was like a fit, I could,nt get a hold of my friend , she's seems yo have calmed town you'd is the first time this has happened I notice d there a long seed before in the trill can you help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems to be sleeping here eyes are closed she has had a fright I will stay up with her for a while
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I know how awful it is to see her this way and not know what it could be or what you need to do about it. The first thing I want to explain is the idea that birds are really, really good at hiding all signs of illness. This is a result of their life in the wild, where an injured or ill bird puts the whole flock at risk and so is likely to be killed or driven out by the flock. That means that the symptoms Amber is showing right now of being weak and sleepy and having a hard time eating and then being frantic or even having a fit when startled can be the result of almost any illness or injury. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
That means we're really not going to be able to do much narrow down the potential reasons WHY she is acting this way. It could be nearly anything:an infectious diseaseexposure to a toxina nutritional problema metabolic disease like liver or kidney diseasean injuryand many other things. Next I'll describe first aid for the sick/injured bird...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The most important thing to do for an ill or injured bird that is weak and sleepy is to help her conserve energy. That means increasing the heat in her environment and making it so she has easy access to food and water without expending much energy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what can I do, I know it's funny sometimes I think she is not well and the she's fine, but I love her to bits she is full of fun. She must have got startled with seed stuck in her mouth
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
To accomplish that, you'll need to use a heat lamp or a heating pad on low under her cage.... some way to increase the temperature in the room to where she is not at all fluffed up. A fluffed bird is cold.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
If she is fluffed up, a temperature of about 29C would be appropriate.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Providing extra heat will allow her to conserve energy to fight whatever illness or injury is causing her to be lethargic and have a hard time eating. To be clear, it is unlikely that the original source of her problem is having a piece of seed stuck. That is not something we expect a healthy bird to have trouble with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the house too hot sometimes, I ve moved her seed back into the smaller feeder as it was a bucket type that my pal had given me I used one before and she did,n like it I should have rembered I dt like to hurt folks feelings and she is in a bigger cage folk told me not to keep in a small cage it's taken her a while to get use it it's too high for her to climb down
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
So... provide extra heat if she is fluffed. Doing that alone can be life-saving. Next, make sure she has easy access to her favorite high calorie foods. If she is too weak to perch, remove the perches and put food and water on the floor of the cage.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This article is really helpful for describing the care of a sick bird at home.http://littlecrittersvet.com/pet-articles/species-guides/page-for-the-birds-category/sick-bird-care/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my budgie sick
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
She may be... yes. If she is acting weak and sleepy and is having trouble eating, she almost certainly is sick. If this was just a brief episode and she is fine now, then she may not be sick. How is she acting now?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, but I am happy to provide you with information. I am also able to tell you that a budgie who is weak, sleepy, having trouble eating properly, and having fits is very sick and needs emergency care.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
How is she acting now, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi she seems to be sleeping I think she has a snooze in the afternoon she has been out of her cage for two days flying about in the room here , yesterday morning she fell to the ground in her cage but she picked herself up, I got a fright yesterday too I guided her to her perch she is just a baby of six months old. Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's very quiet and ready to the bathroom thing, anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have turned the heating up
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
That is all encouraging to hear. The things you are describing could be normal behavior for a healthy bird, but they could also be early signs of a problem. Because of that, I'd still advise getting her to an avian vet, even if it's just for a check-up. That way you'll accomplish the following things:You'll find out for sure if she's healthyYou'll already have a relationship with a vet in case of an emergencyIf there is a problem, you'll find it earlier rather than too late (since birds are so good at hiding signs of illness). Good. I'm glad you've put the heat up. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you very much, I will get my pla Natalie to take her for a check up she bites me all the time, and she is wonderful company for me she is not making any noises , thank you for your help can I print this all off , kind regards ***** ***** I will get a receipt for paying for this, oh well I'm wide awake. Nice chatting to you Anna Valente.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's cleaning herself she's the cleanest budgie in the world I think . Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's on her swing now you ve brought her back
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad to hear she is doing well now. That's wonderful news!If you are happy with the information I've provided, please do take a moment to rate my response, then I'll receive credit for helping you today. Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were very good now I'm roasting . I will have yo get a special lamp for her to keep warm I ve got plenty covers for her to put over her cage Anna, I'm going to have a cuppa a think anba
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it. Hope the rest of your night is uneventful. Have a good one, Anna.... lovely chatting with you.Please do remember to rate my response; without your rating I receive no credit for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Jo, it's just I noticed her toilet was black I gave her a we spray it is on her wing anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I didn't get your answer ,anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a Dr there anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh well Amber seems to be okay can you cancel my order please.anna valente
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Anna. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was offline. If you would like to request a refund, please contact customer service. In the meantime, I'll let you know that black stools result when a bird isn't eating. I hope Amber continues to do fine. Thank you.