Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My budgie has loose black dirheah from kart nights chew

Hi my budgie has loose black dirheah from kart nights chew stick I'm sure it was that anna
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Anna. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If the chew sticks are darkly pigmented, then they could certainly cause this. Therefore, you will want to remove them immediately. That said, if he is unwell at all or you see the black diarrhea continue, then we'd be concerned about a possible GI issue with bleeding and would want him seen urgently (especially since they are so delicate) by his local vet.
If you don't have a specialist avian vet, you can check where you can find one at near you at the RCVS Register @ http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/ or http://www.aav.org/search/.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for writing to me, it seems to have stopped I have cleaned her cage thus morning when I came back from church I didn't want to leave but she seem s better I have removed the thick dark chew sticks I should have known not to have given her them, it seems to give her this but not as bad as this, it was like a fit she could,nt get the stuff out of her beak, she's a marvellous we budgie , I was half the night worrying, and I have shifted her good tray into a better dish and she hast eaten out of it the bucket one she gave climb into im making her lazy I think. I will register with vet up the Tia's and him o cone to the house yo check her this is my first budgie thank you anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is bleeding as I far as I know I should ask you about my problem with this, I'm joking anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. Anna
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Anna,
Good, I am glad nothing is with your wee lass (though if you do have a medial question there is a human doctor advice service available on this website as well). Anyway, I am glad to hear that she seems better and that you have removed this from her cage. As well, that sounds like a good plan of action to have a check up to just make sure there is nothing amiss that we'd need to address for her.
Take care & all the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you I'm relieved I don't know about human Drs I liked that off them at the moment. Anna Valente