Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has returned from the groomers who has found a lump

My dog has returned from the groomers who has found a lump on each side of his body behind his forelegs and to me they are = located near the rib cage. They also feel mobile a not hard . I am worried what they may be as we are going away for three weeks and he is going to a dog carer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I share your concern about Badger.
These lumps are right where we'd expect the axillary lymph nodes to be. Now lymphoma is a concern at his age but we can see enlargement of the nodes in response to infections or inflammation of the skin (remember they are the lymphocyte or white blood cell HQ). So, if he has had any allergies, skin irritation, problems with his forefeet, then we could bee seeing the nodes being reactive instead of proliferating due to lymphoma.
That said, with you about to go away for 3 weeks, I do feel this is worth looking into now. Ideally, we'd want to have him seen and have his local vet check his other nodes (under his jaw, at the scapula, behind the hind leg knees, etc) but also sample these ones via fine needle aspiration (FNA) or biopsy. FNAs are a good place to start since these can often be done in the consult room without sedation. This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. The cells can then be stained and the identity of the lump determined. Based on that, we can appreciate where we stand here (reactive or cancerous nodes) and treat appropriately for Badger.
Overall, this does sound like lymph node enlargement and that does raise concerns of an immune response or lymphoma. Therefore, we'd be best to have these checked by your vet before you go. That way we know where we stand and can make the best choices for Badger.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had both skin and fore feet problems in the past.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does not like his left forefoot being touched actually ever since he had an infection there several years ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If he has that ongoing, then we may just have reactive immune stimulated lymph nodes here. So, it is worth a check since you are due to be away. Still, if his vet finds skin/feet issues to match the level of enlargement, then we may just need to treat that to address the nodes and get them to settle down.
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks we have an appointment today, but to complicate matters I am ill with a virus and in bed today so my partner's doing everything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am sorry to hear that you are unwell (viruses always seem to know when holiday is near) but hopefully it the vet will just confirm reactive lymph nodes and can sort that for your lad.
Take care,
Dr. B.