Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog had eaten an gel from an air wick air freshener.

My dog had eaten an gel balls from an air wick air freshener. Should I take him to emergency vets? He is 22 weeks old, bulldog and weighs 15 kilos. He is not acting ill.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- To make sure I got this right, the gel balls are the air freshener cartridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a air diffuser, with the wooden stems. He had one in his mouth that I removed however I can't be sure he didn't swallow one.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, some of these air freshener have essential oils, if ingested in large amounts they can affect the central nervous system. The other concern is the oil being inhaled into the lungs. Based on what you describe it does not sound like he ingested a large amount, so at worst you can expect some mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. I would recommend you feed him to dilute the gel; you can also give him some milk to dilute the oils if any are present. Do Not try to induce vomiting or give anti diarrhea medication. I would observe him for the next 24 hours, if he develops diarrhea or vomiting this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.