Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog, a Westie, age nearly 4, went to toilet this morning

Customer Question

My dog, a Westie, age nearly 4, went to toilet this morning and it was okay, took her out for a walk this afternoon, when she went again and there was blood in her stools, after that she kept trying to go but it was just blood spots, she did this three times, just little spots. She seems to be happy in every other respect and has been playing with my friends dog. Should I get to the vet very quickly or see how she goes? She's been okay for the last 1.1/2 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is not unusual for dogs with a very minor digestive disturbance, to have some diarrhea that causes irritation to the very sensitive rectal mucosa to cause small blood vessels to break and bleed. Since your sweet Bonnie is acting normal, this is most likely the cause for this. With the diarrhea, they may feel like they have to go often even if there is nothing there. If this continues, follow these instructions: Fast Bonnie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed her rice and boiled chicken (2/1) If this has resolved, wean her back to her regular meal. She will do well. If this has not resolved, take her to your vet for an exam to be sure. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****