Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog sounds like she is hiccuping and was gasping

Customer Question

my dog sounds like she is hiccuping and was gasping for air through her nose but now she is puffing through her nose, it lasts for short bursts but then comes back after a couple of minutes. I would say this has been going on for about three quarters of an hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry but due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls but would like to help. It sounds like your dog is suffering from what is called a Reverse Sneeze. This is a harmless spasm that sounds much worse than it is. Check this LINK to see if what your dog is doing sounds like this. This is related to allergies so the treatment is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of your dog's weight every 12 hrs. If this is a REverse Sneeze, this will respond to this and no further treatment is required. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****