Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Two of my cats who are 11 and a half have had very soft

Customer Question

Two of my cats who are 11 and a half have had very soft poos now since last November. I have now witnessed them using the catlitter at night and when they do use it there is also an explosive windy sound too. I hadn't realized it was so bad nor that it had been going on so long. Other than that they eat normally and are as lovely as ever.
I tried giving them a very clean diet for two days of boiled fish and chicken and rice. only one of them would eat this and they do go out also so no knowing what they were eating there. The other one seemed hungry all the time not surprisingly.
If I take them to our vet would they be able to tell what the problem is or should I try something like a feline immodium first?
Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.
With very best wishes, Pat McMaster
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was there any diet change before it started?
When were they last wormed?
Any weight loss or thirst changes with either cats?
Any blood in their stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! No no change in diet. They had a multi wormer from the vet last Nov for one and Dec for the other. No sign of weight loss or blood in the stools. It can sometimes be all over the side of the catlitter and other times almost normal. We do have the mother cat also though who is 12 and I haven't seen any evidence that she has the problem. She however guards the catflap at night . We haven't used a catlitter since they were little but have had to as were finding these piles of soft stools on the kitchen floor!. Thank you again for your help. Best wishes Pat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pat,
Now to see both cats with signs hints to us that we are likely facing an infectious agent (bacterial, viral, parasitic, protozoal) or shared exposure (diet related, something they are both having outside, etc). And if one has had a multi-wormer in December and not settled, then worms would at least drop to the bottom of our differential list for these two kitties.
With this in mind and the duration of their signs, we do need to tread with care. It'd be ideal to have them checked at this stage but there is some supportive care you could choose to try first if they are otherwise well.
First, your bland diet option was a good one. Though if we have a resistant kitty, then we may find more success using a commercial light diet like Hill's I/D or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal diet. These are OTC at most vets and would be easier to process and thus help normalize their stools.
As well, I would note that Imodium is a not safe for cats, but we could use a cat safe anti-diarrheal for them. OTC options include Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Of course, avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or any products with aspirin or salicyclic acid; since those aren't cat friendly. Otherwise and ideal here, we could use Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber. All are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. The reason these would be especially helpful is because while all will slow diarrhea, those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (which will help with the gas). So, these can be used for your wee ones.
Finally, if they don't settle with the above supportive care, then we'd need to think about having a stool sample tested to check for those infectious concerns. This is something their vet can do when checking them or you could choose to submit a fecal sample for testing before they are seen. To keep costs down, you can pool samples from both cats into one sample pot since we'd plan to treat both based on the results.
Overall, when 2 cats are showing these kinds of signs, it does make diseases of the individual less likely. And therefore, our main suspects are infectious ones or something they are both getting into. So, we'd want to use the above steps now but plan for a check and stool testing if they don't settle with our supportive care.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. That is very helpful.
With best wishes, Pat McMaster
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Pat.
I am glad I could shed some light on this situation for you and give you a plan of action. :)
All the best,
Dr. B.
**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )