Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a staffie aged 16 who loves the sunshine. She

Customer Question

I have a staffie bitch aged 16 who loves the sunshine. She is in okay health apart from Arthritis and cataracs. We don't want to leave her any more when we visit Spain and we would like to know if it is wise to take her in the car and the ferry , stopping a couple of times on the way over in doggy friendly B and B 's and taking her in with us in the ferry dog friendly room?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you would like to take your girl with you when you travel to Spain for vacation.Airlines do not allow dogs over a certain weight and size to travel in the cabin with their owners. Basically if the pup in its carrier won't fit under the seat then they aren't allowed in the cabin.If she enjoys the car I see no reason that she cannot come with you.You do need to make some preparations however for her to avoid getting sick in Spain.Spain has a disease transmitted by sand flies called Leishmaniasis. She should have an appropriate vaccine given as a prevention and be on a flea/sand fly topical prevention the entire time she is in Spain.I like the topical Advocate for prevention. The best vaccine currently available in Europe for dogs is LiESP/QA-21 (CaniLeish(®)).If you would like to read more about Leishmaniasis here is a link to an accurate article from a reliable source: http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/canine-leishmaniasis Ticks are also problem in Spain, so another option for prevention of Sand fly bites and ticks is the Seresto flea and tick collar.Make sure to discuss these recommendations with your veterinarian so that she can be vaccinated in time for travel, and start topicals.Best of luck with your travels.