Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 13 year old spaniel has been vomiting up a watery foam for

My 13 year old spaniel has been vomiting up a watery foam for the last three hours and not eating his evening meal. he is shaking. This morning re was out for an hour and active. I am
at a loss as to what to do. He has just drunk some water but has a very dry nose.
Any advice would be very welcome
Penny Powell
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re 1 - not to my knowledge
2 - No
3 - about 15 Kilos
4 - only the shaking
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - gums are pink, not bright but not too pale
2 - nothing to take temperature with
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The shaking could be a sign of discomfort or a fever.In this case, your dog will need a hands on examination by family vet, xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter