Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My border collie has a fairly small lump adjacent to her back

My border collie has a fairly small lump adjacent to her back teat.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Bonnie. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind: 1. Has she been spayed? If so, how old was she when the procedure was done?2. How long has the lump been present?3. Is it raised or underneath the skin?4. Do you think you could post a picture of it? The following link walks you through the process: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No she has not been spayed.
2. A few months.
3. It is raised.
4. There is no way she will let me take a picture, sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions and no worries about not being able to take a picture...although it might have helped me to narrow down the list of possible explanations for this lump that you've found since there could be several explanations for it. Fortunately, most of the lumps and bumps that dogs develop are benign and are no concern at all. They bother us more than they bother the dogs, in most cases. However, having said that, when an unspayed dog has a lump associated or near a nipple, then this may change things somewhat. Dogs can develop mammary cancer very similar to humans, unfortunately. Not all mammary masses are cancerous; they can be benign although it's sometimes difficult to tell without removing the lump and submitting the tissue for biopsy.Typically, these masses are felt under the skin, not raised above it, so this possibility may be less likely. Other possible explanations include:1. Wart or skin tag--benign2. Small cyst--benign3. Small lipoma (which is a fatty mass and completely benign) although these masses are felt under the skin as well; they aren't raised above it.4. Other types of skin cancerous lesions such as a mast cell. It's often not possible to determine what a lump or bump might be based on feel or visualization alone. Usually cells need to be aspirated and examined under a microscope or sent off to a pathologist for review.And, when it comes to treatment options, we are somewhat limited....we either monitor them, freeze them off if small enough, or surgically remove them. I'd dearly love to narrow down the list but I hope this at least provides possible explanations for this mass that Bonnie has developed. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, I'm not now quite as worried as before. Can I get in touch again about this. Maybe I might get to take a picture.
Brenda
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Brenda:You're more than welcome; always glad to be able to provide at least a modicum of peace of mind:) You can absolutely stay in touch, especially if you manage to take a picture (perhaps while she's sleeping). Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can continue to discuss this issue at no additional charge to you.If I happen to be offline when you do, I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer multiple times during the day. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Brenda,My pleasure. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Brenda, I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Deb