Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Radiographs revealed advanced settled chronic arthritis of

Customer Question

radiographs revealed advanced settled chronic arthritis of fetlock with formal diagnosis of palmar osteochondral disease. Is the arthritis the disease covered in the diagnosis or could there be another condition.
He is cantering sound. Percentage wise, what are the chances of him racing again
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  danj66 replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,I am not a vet, however I have done extensive research on arthritis in horses and I hope my answer below answers your question:It all depends on how advanced the arthritis is to whether he will be able to race again.The sooner arthritis is caught the better, because while there is no cure or treatment out there that can get rid of arthritis, there are ways to keep it from getting worse. Therefore, if arthritis is caught early enough then the inflammation can be controlled and the condition can have minimal affect on a horses well-being.How bad your horses arthritis is will depend on when the arthritis started to set in, and how long it was left unchecked for, and the fact that he has been diagnosed as having advanced arthritis is not a good sign I'm afraid. The fact that he is cantering soundly is good, it means that your horse (with proper inflammation treatment) may go on to live the rest of his life comfortably and not in too much pain. This does not mean that he can race again though. Racing or even preparing the horse to race will undoubtedly make the condition worse. Doing so could result in the horse being in an increased amount of pain for the rest of his life. There is of course a slight chance that he could race, but this will undoubtedly put him at risk and will undoubtedly be bad for the horse long term. This is a decision that you will have to make, whether you want to try to prepare him to race, but put him at an increased risk, or allow him to live out his life in his current condition.I do apologize if this is not what you was hoping to hear and I wish the best to you both. Dan