Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 12 year old Labrador has a cyst on his right front leg joint.

Customer Question

my 12 year old Labrador has a cyst on his right front leg joint. He had a replacement elbow joint done there 3 years ago. would this be related to the cyst. He has had the cyst drained 3 times but it keeps coming back and the lameness is getting worse. The vet won't agree to removing it surgically. should I ask another vet? Also what causes a cyst.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This cyst formation is most likely due to the replacement joint and the irritation caused by this. Since it has been drained multiple times and always returns, it is time for your vet to be more aggressive to remove this. The void is still present after draining and the bodies response is to fill this again. The capsule around the cyst will have to be removed. My fear is that the irritation that has caused this cyst is still present and even after aggressive removal, this could return. Take your guy back to the surgeon for a recheck to see if something can be done to stop the source of this problem. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guys cyst resolves soon! Have a wonderful day!