Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has low grade cancer in the intestines just about to

Customer Question

My cat has low grade cancer in the intestines just about to start treatment but he as gained half a kilo in weight in the last 3 weeks is that possible with cancer or is it possible he has been misdiagnosed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did the biopsy diagnose lymphoma? Or a different cancer type?Did Basil's vet see fluid builing up in his abdomen?Does he look bloated now?Had he been having diarrhea with this? How are his stools now?Did his appetite improve with the antibiotics? Which one was used?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes lymphoma no fluid in abdomen he's not bloated no diarrhea stools normal he's always been good with his food was being sick every morning was why we took him to vets since taking antibiotics for a bacterial infection that's when he put on weight not sure what type they were not about to start cancer treatment confused as to why he's gained weight
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you,First, it the diagnosis was by analysis of a biopsy, then its not likely to be a misdiagnosis. The pathologists in the lab that diagnosed this are veterinary specialists with extensive training in examining cells from biopsies and thus with this type of diagnosis (as opposed to on scan or xray alone) tends to be very reliable. Of course, you can double check with his vet to ensure the biopsy report does confirm this without doubt. Or if you wish, you can request they review it again to make sure or use special stains (which can even be used to determine if this is B or T cell lymphoma).Otherwise, we can see weight gain in a situation like this for a range of reasons. First, we can see it with mass growth and fluid accumulation but these don't sound likely here. Otherwise, we can see weight gain if treatment has reduced his vomiting, since that would translate to more food/nutrition intake.As well, some antibiotics have positive effects on the gut, can reduce any abnormal bacterial populations there (if there was a secondary infection lurking there too), and have some action against some cancers. So, its possible that treatment did allow for improved nutrient uptake in his compromised intestines allowing again more intake and thus weight.Finally, infection would have been requiring the immune system to use energy/calories/resources to fight. So, that would have been draining weight from him and by removing the infection that could lead to more resources for the body and thus weight gain.Overall, his weight gain with antibiotics alone isn't very uncommon. Its likely they helped nip secondary gut infections, removed that toll the liver infection was taking on the body and helped with his absorption of what he was eating. And that meant he could take in more and thus regain some of that lost weight. So, it more likely this was a mild positive effect of the treatment then a sign of misdiagnosis. Still, if you have any doubt at all, then have your vet ring the pathologist to confirm their report +/- have those additional stains checked to just make sure before you start treatment.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)