Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My GSD is 9 years old and weighs 53 kilos he is a large GSD

My GSD is 9 years old and weighs 53 kilos he is a large GSD and always has been. But recently a new vet said that he has to lose at least 3 kilo and also said that she was surprised he was still as healthy as he was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. Now its easy to get fixated on the numbers, but when we are considering a dog's weight (and whether they need to lose some) we need to look at more than that 53kg. In fact, we need to consider that weight in light of his body condition score. This is a means of assessing his weight and size relative to his body confirmation (since our patients come in all sizes).To assess his body condition and decide if that weight is appropriate, you can follow the steps of this guide HERE. As you will see, we want to have a waist line on our dogs when looking down on them and we want to have just enough fat over the ribs to cover them but allow them to be palpable without having to press down with much force. We also have to see an abdominal tuck and not have much fat over that tail base. If you check these against the guide and he is a 3, then he is ideal and no weight needs to be lost. But if you really have to press to feel those ribs or he doesn't feel to have a waist as you run your hands over his sides, then we may need to consider a little bit of weight loss just to get him to ideal and make sure we aren't stressing his joints with weight as he ages. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should he lose weight if he has hip displacier and arthritis.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,If he has an ideal body condition score, then he doesn't need to. If he has a bit more then he needs (ie is a 4 on that scale), then it is ideal to have him loose that bit at this point because as I am sure you are aware this breed is very prone to issues with arthritis and their hips. It would just be a preventative measure to make sure that didn't cause bother in the future. As well, at his age, if he is having even mild joint signs you can consider starting some OTC joint supportive care like glucosamine, chondroitin or Omega 3 fish oils to keep him moving comfortably. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much x
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.