Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Rescue cat that we have had up to two years now,

rescue cat that we have had for coming up to two years now, unclear how old the cat is but not particularly old.
since Christmas has started to lose appetite and in the last few days has stopped eating, he is still drinking water all though this has started reducing as well.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm concerned that Ashton is exhibiting a progressive disorder which is consistent with degenerative and age-related insufficiencies such as chronic hepatic or renal failure as well as neoplasia (cancer). His worsening anorexia and cachexia (wasting) support these kind of disorders. The history you've provided is important but it isn't pathognomonic of any one specific disease. His vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and possibly imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound in an attempt to clarify why Ashton is behaving as he is and whether or not he can be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked on behalf of a friend who lives in the America. sadly they have very little resources, so this is not good, do you think the cat is likely to be in pain? Would a basic consultation / examination give any indication to best solution?
I understand. It's so very difficult for me to assess the likelihood of pain or prognosticate in these situations and so, yes, at least a physical exam is in order. I would be pleased to continue consulting once that's done. You can return to our conversation - even after rating - at your convenience. There's no additional charge to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an idea of what a basic consultation is likely to cost and then if the dad decision is to put cat to sleep the approx cost
Office visit/exam: $35-75Euthanasia/care of remains: $50-200
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.