Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Can a lurcher get shin splints, since a run in a different

Can a lurcher get shin splints, since a run in a different area, she seems to be hopping and licking her paws and joints.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Shin splints - inflammation in the cranial (toward the head) aspect of limbs - isn't a recognized entity in dogs but there's certanly no reason that an active dog can't suffer from soft tissue injuries - bruises, sprains and strains - just as we do. These aren't easy injuries to confirm in dogs because X-rays are rarely helpful for identifying soft tissue changes and ultrasound and CT are usually reserved for badly affected dogs in which the etiology of their lameness hasn't been clarified by less advanced techniques. At 20 months of age, Lola should be past the time when I first see the common orthopaedic disorders of dogs - panosteitis (an inflammation of the long bones), osteochondrosis (a growth defect found in the elbow, shoulder, and occasionally the knee and ankle), and the rarer hypertrophic osteodystrophy (a disease of long bones of young, rapidly growing dogs) and hypertrophic osteopathy (a reaction in the distal extremities due to a mass in the chest or abdomen). I might address Lola with a prescription nonsteroidal inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam and see if that suffices. If not, careful palpation (feeling, flexion/extension tests) of her bones and joints by her vet would be prudent. If pain can be localized to a specific area, X-rays are then taken of that area and often the same spot on the other side of my patient. In other words, if I find that the right elbow is painful upon palpation, I'll also X-ray the left elbow. Less commonly, polyarthritis might be found in such a patient. Idiopathic (unknown cause) polyarthritis, rheumatoid, and tick-borne disease polyarthritis are the differential diagnoses to be considered.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.