Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a very lovly 16 year old ***** ***** who will not stope

Customer Question

I have a very lovly 16 year old ***** ***** who will not stope barking for hours and hours
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. If this has come on suddenly, this may be due to dementia or other neurologic issues related to age. For now, try giving your guy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will help make your guy/gal drowsy and may help stop this process. Take your dog to your vet as soon as possible for testing. These symptoms can be related to liver failure, tumors or infectious disease. Treatment will be based on the results of the tests. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have just returned from the Vet and he had blood test for kidney and leaking bladder.wet him self when he is in a deep sleep that was the results of the tests I was given drops and powder to go in his food and kidney related food.
But He will not let me feed him with mediation!!!!
The Barking is a different thing I did not mention because of the complications of the above. He Is a very loving companion but I am isolated from family and friends because of this.
The only thing that gives me peace from the barking is I don't shout at him any moor point less he is very deaf. I have a small musel that slips over his mouth. Is this the kindest thing to keep doing?
I am very much at my wits end. Please no moor medication advice. Is there help from your service or not. Thanks Bill
HI Bill. The other thing that may help is a DAP Collar available at the pet store. It is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent. I am afraid, because of his age, that this may be neurologic related. Since it is so hard to give medication, Bill, try the muzzle. This is not cruel and may decrease the barking if the DAP Collar is not enough. I do not believe that he knows what he is doing or may be related to him being deaf. I hope that helps some, Bill.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will persist with the muzzle, as it seems to be the calm, and best way forward.
When he is in the muzzle in the House he is relaxed until I take it off. He dose not barked when we are out waking or in church.
or on the bus. Just at home before his dinner and a time after his dinner.
Thanks I think kindness and loving hugs and the muzzle is the future as there is no cure' Thanks Bill.
That is excellent, Bill. Love, Hugs and the muzzle will get your guy through this. I am sorry but because of my location, I am unable to make phone calls. I hope this helps your guy, Bill. You are doing great so far.