Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has end stage renal failure .recently put on a drip

My cat has end stage renal failure .recently put on a drip but would not tolerate this after 24 hours be me very aggressive.the vet has prescribed fortekor 2.5mg .He ate small amounts of renal food. for 2 days plus tablet.yesterday ate nothing .I have tried different foods ,baby food,paste etc .currently using a syringe to make him drink water.he will not take his tablet.the worst problem is he is bleeding from the mouth and has a severe mouth ulcer on the side of his mouth He is only nine years of age and despite ultrasound we could not find a reason for his early renal failure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear about Leo's situation.Now his lack of appetite with those 2 issues is not unexpected. In fact, nausea (which in Leo's case could be due to renal induced uremic gastritis) and oral pain are the 2 most common reasons for anorexia in the cat.Therefore, with these issues, I have to say it'd be ideal to ring his vet just now. Some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. Even if yours doesn't, they will have a contingency plans for emergency care over the weekend. If one of their vet's is on call, they may be able to prescribe and dispense some kidney safe pain relief (Buprenorphine) +/- anti-nausea medication for him. Or if he isn't allowing you to give him tablet, they could even see him and start these both by injection.Further to those, we can keep tempting him to eat or use calorie rich food (ie Hills AD, Royal Canin Recovery Diet, kitten food) to syringe feed. We usually like to stay away from the protein rich diets in cats with kidney disease, but if we cannot get much into him then this would be an exception. Otherwise, you will want to keep up on giving fluids but need to be aware that the minimum daily requirement for kitties is 48ml per kilogram of body weight per day. As a kidney cat, Leo will need more but that would be a minimum starting place for fluid support. Finally, I would just note that you can crush his Fortkor to add to water and syringe into him. Or if you do touch base with the local vet just now, you could also dispense Semintra (a new liquid medication that has been shown to be very helpful in feline renal disease).Overall, Leo has two real reasons for refusing to eat for us. You will be limited on how to treat at home, but there are options that the local vet should be able to dispense for you to get his mouth comfortable, his suspect nausea under control, and keep him from wasting away here. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this is very helpful.I will try to phone my vet.can you get siminatra at a chemist if I am unable toget a vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.That sounds like a good plan of action. Unfortunately, Semintra isn't available at the chemist and ordering from an online pharmacy would require Leo's vet write a prescription. Still, hopefully we can get ahold of them and get this all sorted for your wee lad.Best wishes for Leo,Dr. B.