Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

No difference in behaviour just excessive biting of cage

no difference in behaviour just excessive biting of cage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi my syrian hamster has two scabs one on either side of nostril
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,Apologies for my delay in reply, as I couldn't see that you had opened a new question instead of replying to the original one. In any case, based on the photos and lack of other signs, this does look traumatic in origin. Therefore, we'd want to relocate her to an aquarium type cage at least for the short term to block her access to bar chewing and give the skin a bit of time to heal. Otherwise, we need bathe this in a mild hamster safe antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, etc). Do not be tempted to put any topical creams on this, as she will lick them off. Though if we see any pus, swelling, or these aren't settling over the next week; then we may need systemic/oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories from her local vet. Finally, just to note, if she does excessively chew her cage, we may need to also re-evaluate the cage set up and add toys/treats to enrich her environment and deter this vice. Just to note, in case you do not have a vet for your wee one already, you can find one using the exotics filter on the RCVS register to find an exotics vet near you. You can find that here (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/advanced-search/). As well, a lot of the vet schools (ie Edinburgh, Bristol, RVC, etc.) will either have an exotics vet on site or will have ties to one that they can refer you to (ie. Glasgow). As well, you can check here http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm . Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.All the best for you both,Dr. B.