DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My horse was born as a foal down on his fetlock,he was treated

My horse was born as a foal down on his fetlock,he was treated at Rossdales Newmarket with special shoes being fitted.We were told that in time they would improve.He is now 4 and is still down on his fetlock,and has not yet been backed.Our vet has expressed her concerns with his legs and says that he is not worth backing and will not improve ! What should we do,he is home bred kind regards Ali
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Im sorry to hear about your predicament with your young horse. Your vet is right, if the horse is down in the fetlocks at the age of 4, you are unlikely to see much improvement as most of the horse's growth is done at this age. If the horse is sound as of right now,you can try starting into some light work and see how it goes. It would likely help to put supportive shoes on ....with heel support. If it is a hindlimb that is affected, you might get some good riding out for awhile as the hindlimbs bear less of the body weight. If it is a front limb then it might be harder. Stay away from disciplines like jumping. Always keep the feet well trimmed as a long toe will greatly increase the stress on the fetlock and pastern. Unfortunately there are not really any other treatments at this point. Give it a try and maybe with some strength training and time, the horse will do ok as a light riding horse. I hope this helps. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would my horse be in pain with this problem ?? He shows no obvious sign of being in pain
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Just hanging out in the pasture, no, I wouldnt expect him to be in any pain. Starting into work, he may become lame due to the pressure on his joints and especially the fetlock associated with the down leg.