Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There I have an 8 week old lovebird he/she has only been

Customer Question

Hello there I have an 8 week old lovebird he/she has only been with us two days however I wish to make them as tame as possible and wanted to ask is it worth having the wings clipped as ive heard this might make life a little easier. If the coming weeks months are not the right time when would be the correct time to do this?
Thankyou Barnaby
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Barnaby, I'd prefer that you didn't clip Zeus's wings at this time. Zeus needs to learn how to balance and navigate as he matures in his normal state. Zeus is going to molt between 4- 8 months of age - an average of 5-6 months of age - and once he has all of his adult feathers you can decide if wing clipping is necessary. Please note that birds can still fly once their wings are clipped and there's even more of a chance of them harming themselves when their navigation skills are diminished. If you're going to train stepping up on to your finger, etc., it's best you do this in a small well-enclosed area with windows covered. Here's a synopsis of what you need to know: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1795&aid=2580Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.