Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 18 yr old cat is near the end with a heart/thyroid

hello my 18 yr old cat is near the end with a heart/thyroid problem, she takes medication for it, and old age...
for some time she has weighed very little
before a recent UTI she was 2.1kg and she is now 2.08kg
I know cats can be between 2.5kg and 4.5kg generally
so the question is what weight do you think is incompatible with life?
how low shall I let her go
she is due to go to the vet later in March, if she is still alive
thanx
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Maddie. Her weight loss - while important - shouldn't be the only criterium when deciding how to approach her. For example, if she had continued eating well - perhaps overeating - yet lost weight, I would be concerned that her hyperthyroidism was uncontrolled or a concomitant disorder common at her age such as renal insufficiency or diabetes mellitus had arisen. If she had become inappetent, instead, weight loss would be expected and the search for the etiology of her inappetence, then, should commence with a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. This is what I expect is planned for later in March. A drop in weight from 2.10 to 2.08 kg represents a loss of just less than 1% of her body weight. I don't believe that to be significant and within the weighing error of most nonscientific scales. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all is ok with her at present and she is eating more, what weight would u call incompatible with life?
It would depend upon what her normal adult weight was. Do you recall what it was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
average
If the average sized cat lost over 10% of her body weight I would be concerned. If Maddie is eating more than usual, she's likely to be in need of a dose adjustment upward of her medication for her hyperthyroidism and she needs her blood sugar checked. I would have these things done at your earliest convenience rather than wait until the end of March.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just palliative care now
I have expected her to die a few times but she is tough, all the eating, drinking, elimination is fine, she is up and about, my vet knows about her weight, the FELIMAZOLE 5mg daily has only started recently and we are checking the effectiveness by pulse taking and not putting her through blood tests
I understand. You'll find the felimazole to be more effective if it's given as 2.5 mg twice daily rather than 5 mg once daily.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanx very much
You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.