Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Swelling of dogs stomach

Swelling of dogs stomach
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Blu. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. How long has his abdomen been swollen?2. Any other signs such as weight loss or change in appetite or thirst?3. Has he become more lethargic? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience.Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lethargic and change of appetite
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lethargic and change in appetite
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions.If there was only what appeared to be abdominal swelling, then this could be mistaken for fat and nothing more serious.Unfortuantely, if one of my canine patients presents with a swollen abdomen and is showing other signs such as lethargy and a change in appetite, then I'm going to be somewhat concerned that one of the following problems might be present. 1. I worry that the distended abdomen could be secondary to fluid. which might be related to heart problems or liver issues or even cancer I am sad to say.2. Enlargement of his liver or spleen or even a mass on his intestines could cause his abdomen to distend. While most of the time, these enlargements will be secondary to cancer, there can be benign problems seen as well such as a hematoma of the spleen.Cushing's disease is an endocrine disease that can also cause organ enlargement as it progresses and Diabetes might cause the signs you're seeing. Bloodwork might be suggestive of the former with additional testing needed to confirm; however, these patients aren't typically lethargic.Diabetes can be confirmed with a blood glucose measurement and glucose in the urine; insulin can be started if high.3. I think it's unlikely that something like constipation would cause the signs you're seeing but may be possible if he's only been ill for a relatively short period of time....such as just a day or so.I would love to be able to advise some over the counter medications for him that might help but without a better idea of the underlying issue, I don't know if they might cause more harm.I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and Blu if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.I also hope that this is helpful in at least providing possible explanations for his condition. Deb