Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 3 year old border terrier was really I'll last night

Hello my 3 year old border terrier was really I'll last night being sick and having very running diarrhoea. He has had the runs slightly thru the day but no sickness jst not his self he seams very lathargic and is having trouble with going up and down the stairs seams like he has no energy and he's very sleepy??
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't ate anything out of the ordinary that I'm aware of he had a skin condition that he has been getting on and off some quite am awhile vet says possible allergy to gluten
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very worried about him he's never usually like this he's alway full of bean n jumping around!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any other symptoms? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 4- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure on his weight vet said he's perfect weight for a border very active always had hight appetite and very active no other symptoms jst seams as if he's very lathargic n maybe an upset stomach in the ways he's laying but does seam in pain jst reluctant to move around a lot I'm unable to take his rectal temperature
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are pink not pale.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes, etc. I share your concern about him being so lethargic; if he showing signs of pain this places pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) high on the list of possible causes.In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Pending test results ER veterinarian can start him on supportive care of IV fluids, anti emetics, etc. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting continue to give small amount of water every hours or so until he is seen by family veterinarian in the morning. Leave him without food for at least 12-16 hours. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you just to add he is no longer being sick or having diarrear and hasn't experienced either sin around 3pm today he is jst been lathargic at the moment do you think he will be ok until tomorro morning when I can take him to my family vets as have no ER
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am uncertain if he is going to wait until tomorrow for now try the above recommendations. How many hours since the last time he vomited (we may be in different times zones)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around 8 hours since the last time he vomited and has had slight runs a handful of times but no longer has had either
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and try and see if he is willing to drink a small amount of water. Or, you can give him small amounts with a dropper. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. Do not worry about feeding him until he is seen by family veterinarian. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.