Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My Cocker Spaniel sleeps on my bed. Lately when she cant or

Customer Question

my Cocker Spaniel sleeps on my bed. Lately when she cant or wont jump up she has looked to me to lift her, but she growl like crazy. Am i hurting her or what is that all about.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Poor Holly is feeling pain even when you lift her down because I believe that she has an unstable disc in her back causing her extreme pain. This is very common in cockers because of their conformation. Since Holly does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas although it can cause a generalized pain which is why she is growling. This can happen when Holly jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Holly is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Holly to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****