Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a sher Pei, she has loose hairless skin under her front

Customer Question

I have a sher Pei, she has loose hairless skin under her front legs, every now and then that skin becomes very red and sore looking, we've had some sort of steroid prescribed in the past that worked, but the rash has returned and I don't won't her to be on tablets all the time, and have to rely on them. we bath her often in good quality shampoo for skin problems and regularly apply e45 on her.
Nothing seems to get rid of it completely, it's always there, but flares up worse randomly.
Her ears now and then are the same but not on the same level that is concerning.
What would your advise be?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I believe that you're describing a body fold dermatitis common in the Shar Pei in which erythematous (reddened), seborrheic (a disorder of skin keratinization), often malodorous and sometimes mildly pruritic (itchy) truncal or leg folds are present. Here's a synopsis of the treatment and prognosis of this skin condition:1) A weight reduction program be should be initiated if Luna is obese.2) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12- 72 hours work very well.3) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected areas should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate.4. Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The prescription mupirocin is preferred; over the counter Polysporin or Neosporin may suffice.5. Surgical excision of excess folds is usually curative but not usually attemped in the Shar Pei.6. The prognosis is good but lifelong topical maintenence therapy may be needed if surgical correction isn't performed. e45 is a skin moisturizer. If you believe it to be of benefit continue applying it. An topical antibiotic as mentioned above is more likely to be helpful. Luna's chronically inflamed and seborrheic ears are addressed by identifying secondary bacterial and yeast infections and then treated with thorough irrigation of the ear canals and then either an otic antibacterial or antiyeast product as needed. Many products contain both an antibiotic and an antiyeast drug such as the prescription Panalog and Otomax. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.