Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dogs ear is bothering him. He is shaking his head and tilting

Customer Question

My dogs ear is bothering him. He is shaking his head and tilting it on that side. Our vets in this area aren't open on saturday. Is there anything I can do for him from home?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If Bane is head shaking and tilting, this does suggest that he may have an brewing ear infection or something caught in the ear. Now we are limited with what we can do at home, but there are some steps you can take to try to soothe his ear until he can be seen. To start, you can gently flush this sore ear with saline. This can be purchased over the counter or you can make it by adding 1 tbsp salt to a pint warm water. This is the only treatment we'd be safe to put into his ear at this stage (since we'd need his vet to check his ear drum before using any medications). That said, saline can help flush our foreign bodies, loosen wax, and flush out infection as well. Otherwise, if the outer ear flap (pinna) is sore you can consider applying a thin film of OTC hydrocortisone cream. This will help reduce skin inflammation and irritation for Bane.Finally, if Bane has no other health issues and isn't on any medication, you can consider giving him a low dose of buffered aspirin for the short term to reduce his discomfort. If you wish to use this, you can read more about its use in dogs and dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin If you do use this, make sure to give it after food and stop if he has any signs of upset stomach or black stool. Of course, since we are likely fighting a brewing infection, we'd of course want to plan to have him seen once his vet is open. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )