Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can I give my pet Kune Kune pig who will never go into the

Can I give my pet Kune Kune pig who will never go into the food chain an aspirin (or half an aspirin) for lameness?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Yes, as long as Millie isn't intended for the food chain and hasn't any signs of GI upset (appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), it is safe to give her Aspirin. Dose-wise, we tend to give 10 mg per kilogram of their body weight up to every 12 hour.s Of course, this should be given with food, she should be rested if lame, and we'd need to stop using this drug if we see any stomach upset or black stools. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )