Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My pet dog aged 9 has lost a lot of weight over the last 3

My pet dog aged 9 has lost a lot of weight over the last 3 to 4 weeks and her eyesight has detairated really bad in the last 2 days. She's a half breed lab and is still active and still eating as normal. Any advice would be great
Thanks Michael
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Michael, such weight loss and loss of vision are very important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. At Leigh's age such symptoms need to be evaluated along with a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to her eyes and including ciagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Nine year olds don't have the reserve that a much younger dog has and so "watchful waiting" for just a few days may be appropriate but not for a month. I would be concerned about degenerative disorders involving Leigh's major organs as well as malignancy at her age. For example, lymphoma can involve her major organs and metastasize to her eyes. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to thoroughly examine Leigh and perform diagnostics. Time is of the essence with her. Please have her vet attend to her at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.