Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog Chloe is 11. Her urine protein is 258.6, her creatine

Customer Question

My dog Chloe is 11. Her urine protein is 258.6, her creatine is 177. Pro/Crea is 1.5. My vet wants to start Benazepril. I am having an ultrasound and bloodwork done. Should I wait for the ultrasound and bloodwork to be done before starting the medicine?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
No, there's no reason to wait. If Chloe's sediment in her urinalysis is benign (no pyuria/pus in the urine, hematuria/blood in the urine, or bacteriuria/bacteria in the urine), glomerulonephritis or amyloidosis is likely and should be treated promptly. Renal radiographs or ultrasound is indicated. If her kidney size isn't decreased, clotting should be checked and a renal cortical biopsy considered. A search for causes of glomerulonephritis and amyloidosis is indicated; this can be quite clallenging and require quite a bit of advanced testing. Can you upload a copy of Chloe's most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Chloe's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see the test results. I not only review those results but also see if there were tests that should have been performed but weren't. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.