Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 21 year old mare has suddenly developed two lumps.

Hello, my 21 year old mare has suddenly developed two lumps. One on the inside of her back leg about half the size of the palm of my hand and another the other side on her stomach much larger. They are hard to touch and not hot or painful. She doesn't seen to have any other symptoms. She has been suffering with a respiratory problem for the last few years which she has had various treatments for including a nebulizer. None of which has really helped, this might not even be linked but I wanted to mention it. She is currently on box rest as she has mud fever, but it's not infected and is almost gone. Please can you give any indication what it may be? I'm thinking the worst in tumor but it seems a unusual area?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is not unusual in a mare this age to develop benign masses in certain areas. These areas that you describe are not where any lymph node would be and the fact that they are not painful tells us that they are most likely not an abscess or infection. It would be best to have your vet so a tap of these areas with a needle biopsy to see if they may be a cancer lesion but in most cases such as you describe, these turn out to be either benign fatty tumors or benign lesions that will not harm your sweet Faith. You are correct that her prior conditions will not cause these masses and it will be for your own piece of mind to have a fine needle aspirate of these to be sure that they are benign and not harmful to your mare. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Faith will be ok! Have a wonderful day!