Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our dog started with diarrhea yesterday morning. I only fed

Customer Question

Our dog started with diarrhea yesterday morning. I only fed him plain cooked pasta yesterday. He had a few accidents yesterday and he overnight he had it again. I've withheld food today and he's been fine but should I feed him tonight as my gut feeling is to withhold food till morning now. He is drinking and alert. He's 14 months old. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This is not unusual in young dogs to have a minor digestive disturbance that will go on. Since your sweet guy is acting normal, follow these instructions: Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Your instinct is right to not feed him today. Water is ok.Give your guy Imodium AD, available at the pharmacy over the counter, at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).If this has resolved, wean him onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your guy. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. In most cases such as you describe, this will resolve with this treatment. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should I keep him on the rice and chicken before reintroducing his normal food?
This should only be one or 2 days once the stool hardens. Usually, only one day is required. Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thank you! :)
You are very welcome! I hope your guy feels better soon!