Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Please can you help. My dog has what we think is a uti

Hello please can you help. My dog has what we think is a uti we have the vet tomorrow. However she has just woke up and I notice blood all over her tail and where she was lying.
What can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is the blood coming from the vagina or rectum? 2- Is she spayed? 3- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We believe it's the vagina, no she's not spayed. She's had a uti for two days and I believe the bleed just started today. There is a pungent smell also
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is it a heavy discharge coming from the vagina (can you check please)? Note: Also check the anal sphincter and surrounding tissue. It is important to know where is the blood coming from. 2- Is she lethargic? 3- Is she drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is heavy yes and she has been drinking a lot more than usual. As I can't get the vet till tomorrow I have tried her on cranberry. The blood is worrying me though.
Very lethargic and not keen on food. I tried a little liver today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing is a concern because it is consistent with a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus not a urinary tract infection. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes like vaginitis, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.